Sunday, September 7, 2008

First Day of School





On Tuesday morning, we enrolled one student in the highest grade and one in the earliest grade.


We'll start with our Senior!

Sofie headed off to school bright and early to finish getting registered and get her ID card. It was only a half day for students (weird), but she was as ready as she could possibly be. Keep in mind, she's 17, in a foreign country and knew not a single soul as she entered the doors with 1,900 other students. She handled it like a champ!!! We were so proud of her!

I know it was hard as teenagers aren't always willing to chat up the new girl. Thankfully, she didn't have to worry about lunch on Tuesday, because of the half day. She seemed to like her classes and her teachers and there are definitely some good prospects for new friends.

After school, Sofie and I headed to the beach since we hadn't been there yet. It was 90 degrees out that day and it was a beautiful day to sit and do homework (her) read the celebrity rags (me).


She was supposed to have volleyball practice in the afternoon, but unfortunately, the coach didn't tell her that she moved it up to immediately after school. Sofie was really looking forward to this so she could meet some new friends. I felt pretty bad for her because I knew she was disappointed. But this girl is tough...she rebounded nicely with a phone call from her best friend who is currently living in Missouri. Things have been getting each and everyday and I think she's pretty happy to be here!


Now, our Pre-Kindergartener!

Kailey was ready for school and had been for days! The most exciting part of school for Kailey this year, is that she gets to bring her lunch in a brand new princess lunch bag. (Of course). Well, mommy didn't know that even though Kailey would be released from school at her regular time, since it was a half day, she wouldn't get to eat lunch at school. This was upsetting to her, but she recovered nicely. When we dropped her off...Daddy, Owen and me, she seemed a little apprehensive and Owen was downright sad. "Where's Kailey???" he kept asking. Her teacher, Ms. Cindy, seemed to smooth things over well and Kailey was fine when we left.


When I picked her up, it was a whole different story. Remember from the movie Mr. Mom, when he's the guy who is driving up the down aisle? That was me. I parked exactly where I dropped her off on the adjacent street. Not a good idea. I literally HELD up the pick-up line once I got back to the car and there was NO place for me to turn around. It was bad. Really bad. Finally, someone let me out and I learned a big lesson...park farther away!


Anyhow, Kailey had a great day, but was absolutely exhausted when I picked her up. More like wilted. Remember how it was 90 degrees that day? Well, her school doesn't have air conditioning. She was pathetic, so I was at least able to blast the air conditioning on her while I ducked and waited on the car riders line.


Over all, school is a success and we seem to have two very happy and motivated girls!

1 comment:

toosie said...

Cute pics. Hope Sofie and Kailey both have a good school year and make lots of new friends.

Love,

G Toos