Sunday, September 7, 2008

Fallen Heroes

It's been a very, very busy week around here which is again, why I haven't updated. Before I start catching up, I somehow always feel the need to share sad news, or news that puts things in to perspective.

The Coast Guard is small, only 12,000 active duty members (give or take a few). When you narrow it down to the aviation community, it gets smaller. When we discuss HH-65 pilots, it's only about 300 total for the entire Coast Guard. So, if you don't know someone, chances are really good, you know someone who does.

On Thursday night, the Coast Guard had a terrible tragedy. In Barbers Point, Hawaii, 4 brave crewmen were conducting a routine SAR practice. It is a practice that Paul does very frequently and one that I always write about how he demonstrates. Something went terribly wrong on this evening mission and the HH- 65 helicopter crashed into the ocean, killing 3 men on board, while the 4th is still missing. This hit WAY too close to home. All of these men have spouses and children...these families are just like us and my heart aches and aches for them. It puts into perspective that Paul doesn't have a normal job. Of course I knew this, but the danger is real and the risks are high. I know that tragedies can happen every day, but we've seen the footage of his demonstrations. We've seen how close he gets to water or the scary night-time conditions that in which they fly. I just don't have the words to properly explain the heaviness that I feel in my heart and for those of my friends who are aching. It's different when Paul goes to work now. I will think about things differently when I know he's flying.

The Coast Guard aviation crews do not sport guns. They aren't your typical 'Military' men and women, but they risk their lives on every mission, practice or real, so that complete strangers can all be safe. They are making the ultimate sacrifice. They are heroes. Please, take a minute to think about these victims and their families. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it must be...

1 comment:

toosie said...

I immediately wondered if you knew any of these people when I heard it on the news. Such a sad thing.

G Toos